Finally, we are going to have a Fedora Robotics Spin; a flavor of Fedora focused on providing a ready to use distribution for people working on Robotics, and a distribution to introduce new people to robotics. This work is being done by Fedora Robotics SIG, which prepares robotic packages for Fedora.
Fedora Robotics Spin is going to be a LiveDVD providing the following:
- Hopefully, a step by step demo prepared for newcomers to introduce them to the robotics world and let them get started. Work on this demo has been started recently, and considering the limited available time of contributors; we hope that we can get it up and running soon. Unfortunately, I can’t help much for this release as I’m working on my thesis.
- Robotic Software Frameworks such as Player and Fawkes.
- Simulators: Stage and RoboCup Soccer Simulation Server 2D and 3D are already packaged; others might come soon
- Robotic Libraries including MRPT and gearbox
- Libraries which are very useful in robotics, such as OpenCV computer vision library and Festival text-to-speech system.
- Hardware accessory libraries including libraries for Katana robot arm and Hokuyo laser range finders
- And finally, a development environment consisting of IDE, compilers, etc.
Fedora Robotics Spin aims to provide a rich environment for newcomers and experts in the robotics field. The first version will be hopefully released as an official Fedora 15 spin. 🙂
Apparently, this is the year of Fedora in Robotics! 😛