Archive for May, 2009

Fedora 11 Presto, 3.1, Plymouth

Hi again!

Fortunately, it seems that Fedora 11 repository and its updates repository support Presto, so that you can get delta RPMs instead of complete RPMs if you’ve installed yum-presto package. That’s great! 🙂 It means much faster updates (if you do not have a really fast internet connection!), and even it is now possible to think about updating your Fedora using a dial-up connection officially! (I actually did it before using unofficial presto repositories). Download savings vary, but it’s great anyway! You can see a great size reduction for the update I made minutes ago:
Size of all updates downloaded from Presto-enabled repositories: 4.9M
Size of updates that would have been downloaded if Presto wasn’t enabled: 77M
This is a savings of 94 percent


Now, let us have a look at 3.1! Do you remember the long standing justify bug in Persian(Farsi) language I talked about before?! Well, finally it is fixed in this new version! Not only the bug is fixed, the support for justify paragraph in Arabic scripts is improved too. Good news!

And finally, it seems that plymouth now uses themes rather than plugins! So, don’t forget to install plymouth theme packages, and also use plymouth-set-default-theme command instead of plymouth-set-default-plugin! For example:
plymouth-set-default-theme charge


(I wonder why plymouth-update-initrd is so hidden, as it is required for changing plymouth theme anyway!)

Jidgo, Fedora 11 Preview, Presto, Intel KMS, etc!

I decided to install and run Fedora 11 preview seriously. First, I started to get its DVD .iso file using firefox’s DownThenAll plugin. After downloaing about half of the image, it left me with a corrupted image file. I don’t know why it happenned, but it should be related to our internet connection which is so poor these days.

After that, I decided to use Jigdo to download the image. Downloading a set of small files is much safer. Also, since I was using a Fedora 11 beta and updated it, I already had some of the packages of the preview iso which resulted in less download.
Combining Jigdo with Presto, I can create the final Fedora 11 image by downloading only the differences of many packages. This is a great thing for slow internet connections. It’s really unfortunate to hear that Presto will not be ready for Fedora 11 :(. It’s a long time that this feature is marked 100%, but som work for bodhi is remaining, and now we hear that it won’t be done for Fedora 11.

Anyway, I started downloading packages using Jigdo, but I didn’t like the fact that it gets packages one by one (the same thing goes for yum). Like download accelerators, jigdo can download packages in parallel which could lead to faster downloads specially that it gets packages from different mirrors.
So, I started to look at jigdo to find out if I can do it. After looking inside the sources a little, I found that jigdo-lite is a shell script which manages downloads itself using wget. Now, it was possible to achieve the desired effect using (at least)two approaches: 1) using a different download utility like aria2c to download each package using multi connections, 2) running several wget downloads in parallel. I decided to do the latter, and not using multipart downloads. It didn’t need much work, just replacing this line:

fetch –force-directories –directory-prefix=”$imageTmp” — “$@”

with these:

for myfile in “$@”; do
fetch –force-directories –directory-prefix=”$imageTmp” — “$myfile” &

in jigdo-lite script. It is very simple and doesn’t have much flexibility. It causes jigdo-lite to run 10 downloads each time in parallel and waiting for all of them to finish (then, it will add these files to the image and starts another 10 downloads). I liked it! 🙂

Anyway, I’m running Fedora 11 now! After some updates, I feel that I can move to it completely soon. I really like presto (and I still hope to be able to use it under Fedora 11), Intel KMS works fine (while I have NOT tried to play with it to find bugs yet) and fortunately the system doesn’t crash!! (None of Fedora 10 kernels except the initial version was usable, they all caused system freeze :(. It seems that the problem is solved with 2.6.29 kernels).

Some problems with F11 for now:
1. I run gnome. But when I want to do something which requires PolicyKit authentication (like installing a package with PackageKit), a KDE windows appears to get the root password instead of a gnome window! I’m searching in bugzilla to see if it is reported before.
2. PackageKit still doesn’t show any download statistics. And more importantly, it still doesn’t understand that installing a package from a local repository doesn’t need a network connection. Too dumb! There isn’t even any “try to do it anyway” button.
3. None of the bugs I reported regarding problems in fa locale is fixed. More importantly, this bug which was introduced in Fedora 10. I will probably give up using Fedora in Persian (which is what I did since Redhat 8 I think) and use it in English. 😦